My old toaster had broken down, and after a period of being a sad toaster-less person, I had built up quite the craving for some nice beans on toast. So, I whipped together these smokey black beans – loosely inspired by the BBQ beans recipe in the BOSH! cookbook 😀
How lush doesn’t it look? Black beans are one of my favourite beans, due to taste and texture. The toast would’ve been lovely plain as above, but I went one step further and added hot sauce (Sriracha) on one, and a tahini drizzle on the other. Nooch – aka vegan magic gold dust – had to go on both, of course!
~ Here’s how to make your own ~
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 red onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic, or garlic spice
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 1 generous teaspoon tomato paste
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach
- soy sauce or tamari, if you’re gluten free
- maple syrup, golden syrup, other liquid sweetener or simply some plain ol’ sugar
- smoked paprika, turmeric, mixed herbs, black pepper
- Halve your onion, as you only need half for this recipe 🙂 Then chop up that half, and mince or chop your garlic cloves!
- Pan fry the onion, then the garlic.
- Add in your tomato paste.
- Chop up two fresh tomatoes. I’d say fairly small chunks, but nothing crazy (halve tomatoes and then do 4 cuts either way or so).
- Add the tomatoes in, stir lots, because you want them to release their juices and go nice and soft!
- Drain your black beans, rinse them, and add to the pan.
- Add in your powdered spices and your spinach (and watch it wilt).
- I didn’t measure the amounts of tamari and maple syrup… I would say go with one tablespoon of each, and stir around, then add in one more if needed!
- The end result should be smoky (smoked paprika), sweet (sweetener/sugar) and salty (soy sauce) beans with lots of flavour, ready to go on your toast, or be enjoyed as part of a burrito!
I hope I’ve inspired you to give cool beanz a go, or just to incorporate black beans into your cooking a bit more.
All the love in the world,